vApex Racing Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help Wanted.

2 posters

Go down

Help Wanted. Empty Help Wanted.

Post  Ted Severns Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Guys,

I need someone who can do post race write ups for the SSCA. It doesn't need to be perfect.. but I need them to be able to post on the site and give to Darin and Shawn to a bit on Inside SimRacing TV TWISR Shows.
Ted Severns
Ted Severns
Admin

http://tedseverns.tripod.com/vapexracing/

Back to top Go down

Help Wanted. Empty Re: Help Wanted.

Post  Terry Crouch Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:28 pm

I can do it if nobody else wants to.
Terry Crouch
Terry Crouch
Members
Members

Back to top Go down

Post  Terry Crouch Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:58 pm

****I don't have the replay handy currently, so this is all operating from memory and what I saw around me...so this will be somewhat from my perspective. I'm just throwing a sample up there, nothing more, to find out if anybody objects to me doing the write ups.

--SUZUKA, JAPAN
August 1st, 2011

The Simulated Sports Car Association (SSCA) Road to Indy series hit the Suzuka Grand Prix circuit on August 1st for 23 laps of racing in the final preseason race of the year in what proved to be a true test of endurance and discipline for all involved.

It was the first time that the SSCA Star Mazdas turned any laps in Japan, and it showed in the practice session, as there were a staggering 257 incidents between the 11 drivers that unloaded for the weekend race. As the session wore on, lines were getting cleaner, and there were finally some good times getting laid down. Pacing the field with a time of 1:59.207 was Terry Crouch in the #50 car, and the differential of 1.43 seconds back to second place Chad Peterson's 2:00.638 in the #8 looked like it would lead to an uneventful race. That would not prove to be the accurate.

In qualifying, Peterson hit the elusive lap that he couldn't get in practice, and dropped a blistering 1:59.313 on his second lap to snag the pole away from the 1:59.365 of Crouch. Ted Severns in the #32 brought a 2:00.705 to the grid, followed by Howard McMillon's 2:00.894 in the #6 and Roger Walker's 2:01.959 in the #70. Several drivers aborted qualifying attempts after multiple incidents, filling in the positions behind the top 5 qualifiers.

The race opened up with side-by-side dueling between Peterson and Crouch as they hit the esses, with Peterson staking his claim to the top spot three corners in. Severns closed up into third position, with McMillon falling in line into fourth, maintaining their starting positions as the field started to settle in.

Peterson began flexing his muscles in the #8 car as he began pulling away from the rest of the field. It caught many of the other drivers in the top half of the field by surprise, and everybody began pushing a little bit harder to try to catch him. Crouch would be the first to make a mistake, curb-hopping the inside of Degner Curve and losing control of the car and several positions. A second mistake in the exact same spot would lead to another off-track incident and another loss of several positions.

The top five were all going to try their hand at giving away the race, however. Peterson had an off track early, and Severns managed to overshoot Degner as well, which proved to be the bane of almost everyone on the track in this race. Roger Walker seemed to start to take control in this portion, as the top drivers with regard to speed kept making mistakes and watching Walker drive by for the lead. One section in the middle of the race led to a yo-yo effect--Crouch, Severns, and Peterson would all pass Walker, only to manage to miscalculate a turn, lose control, and watch Walker drive by to retake the lead. After several laps of this bizarre behavior, each driver finally settled into his pace and quit pushing it so hard.

Peterson eventually overshot a corner badly enough that his car took massive damage, ending his race on lap 9 of 23. With the polesitter's day done, the rest of the field saw an opportunity and some good racing started manifesting itself. Severns and Crouch traded positions several times, and Walker kept a cool, steady pace to maintain his position lap after lap. Howard McMillon had several off track incidents that left him with quite a gap to make up, but he started reeling in the top drivers in the later laps--quite an impressive feat, considering he turned his fastest lap of the race on lap 22 with worn tires!

Once the field began dealing with lapped traffic, truly impressive displays of courtesy and sportsmanship were on full display in the SSCA series. Aaron Reinold, J.C. Arnold, and other drivers being placed a lap down routinely allowed the leaders to go by unimpeded, which was appreciated by all involved. In the end, Crouch managed to build up a five second lead over fellow Californian Ted Severns, and the two would pace each other through the final laps to the checkered flag. It would be Crouch's first win on a road course in the Mazda, eliciting more than a few rookie-like over-exuberant outbursts over the radio.

Ted Severns came in 5.4 seconds behind the leader to finish second, while cool and steady Roger Walker came in 11.9 seconds back for 3rd. Howard McMillon made up over 10 seconds in the final few laps to bring home 4th, 14.7 seconds behind the leader. Grant Sharp, in the most efficient drive of the day (a single incident on the 23 lap run!) finished out the top 5, 28.6 seconds behind the race winner.

The SSCA Road to Indy series will be back at Suzuka on Monday, August 8th, at 6:30PM PT/9:30PM ET for the season opening round of the inaugural season. A larger car turnout is assured, and it will more than likely lead to another test of discipline for whoever manages to bring home the first series win in 2011.
Terry Crouch
Terry Crouch
Members
Members

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum